Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Girl Time

My heart continues to be touched in deep and crazy ways by all of the kids here with each encounter I have with them, and I can’t help but fall deeper in love with them in each of those moments we share together. Yesterday since all of the Lusaka girls had the day off from school, we had a girl’s day in the office and invited them all over to spend the afternoon together. Some of the highlights of the day included:

Making popcorn (the old fashioned way)



Some quality girl bonding time of just hanging out


Painting Nails

 

And of course what is a girl's day without baking some delicious treats to enjoy?!


It was a fun day full of lots of sweet memories I know I will cherish for the rest of my life, but there is one that sticks out in my mind. As I sat and got my nails painted by sweet Esther, I noticed a bracelet on her wrist filled with all different colored beads. I commented about how I thought it was pretty and asked if she had made it herself, and immediately without hesitation she replied with a yes, and took the bracelet she had worked so hard on for herself off of her wrist and placed it on mine. There was no further thought that went into it than that. She simply gave because she could. Because she wanted to. Despite the fact that she has so little, that this bracelet was probably so special to her, she gave it up for me. For someone who has so much in comparison. My heart has been touched. Why is it so easy for these kids who have so little to give what they have away without a second thought, while we fight to hold on to our hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of excess and unnecessary commodities? These kids are continuing to teach me so much about what I am not. So much about what Christ is. So much about what I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment