Thursday, July 12, 2012

Friends Forever


We are back in town for the night to get our visas renewed at immigration tomorrow, so I figured I would send a quick update of what our time in Chongwe has looked like so far. It has been packed full of precious time with all of the crazy kids and preparing for and getting teen mania settled in. Each of the interns are staying in separate houses, bunking up with the girls in the houses, and truly just living life with these kids for the next several weeks as camp is getting ready to start. In the first couple days of living out there, we have been welcomed in as part of the family and all of the daily routines that go along with that, from sharing bunks and rooms with the girls, to family devotions at 5 am to start off the day, to helping out with chores around the house, whether there is running water and power or not. It has been so sweet and special to be able to spend that quality time with not only the kids in the house I am living with, but all of the My Father’s House kids in Chongwe. The past few days have contained lots of sweet and precious memories while continuing to grow in deeper community with these kids I have so quickly fallen in love with during my time here. 
After spending several hours yesterday afternoon running around in the dirt, chasing after kids and playing futbol, I sat down in the dirt to rest for a minute and began watching all that was around me, hoping to savor the moments of simply being there in the presence of these kids. As I sat and watched kids play together in joy and laughter, sweet Justine came beside me and wrapped his arm around mine. We sat for a minute in complete silence, just watching our friends run around and enjoy themselves, until he turned to me and asked, “Auntie Elisa Will you visit Africa forever?” In this moment my heart was pulled in a million different directions, not knowing how to best respond without crushing this child’s heart or make promises I was unsure could be kept. Trying to keep tears from rolling down my face at his sweet sincerity, I simply responded. “We will be friends forever Justine. Even if I am away from Africa.” And with that he merely nodded his head, gave me a big smile, and rested his head on my shoulder to continue watching his brothers and sisters play. I so deeply hope with all of my heart that one day I can return and visit my sweet friends in Zambia again. I don’t know how or when that day will be, nor do I know how long or in what capacity I will be called to serve, but I know one thing for certain. No matter what, these kids will forever be in my heart and our friendships will last a lifetime, just as I promised my dear friend Justine.

No comments:

Post a Comment